Actor Geoffrey Rush has filed a defamation lawsuit against an Australian newspaper for publishing what he called false and “spurious” allegations against him.
Mr Rush said Sydney’s Daily Telegraph had caused “irreparable damage” to his reputation over reports it had published since 30 November.
He has strongly denied any wrongdoing.
The Oscar winner said he had filed a defamation lawsuit in a court. The newspaper is yet to respond.
“It is an action I am taking in order to redress the slurs, innuendo and hyperbole they have created around my standing in the entertainment industry and greater community,” he said in a press conference on Friday.
Mr Rush said the newspaper, published by News Corp Australia, had “splashed spurious claims with bombastic titles on their front page”.
He has previously said that he had not been informed of the existence or nature of any complaint.
Mr Rush is one of Australia’s most celebrated actors, having starred in films including Shine, Elizabeth and The King’s Speech.