Here’s a list of improvements fans can expect, shared by developers Studio Wildcard:
Xbox One X Enhancements:
- The “Eyes” Have It – Enjoy “Detail Mode” with buttery smooth 30 FPS gameplay at 1440p or 60 FPS at 1080p in “Medium Quality”
- See Farther, and With More Detail: In 1440p “Detail Mode”, long-range shadows, high quality textures and extended draw distances enhance visual fidelity, while the “TrueSky” system renders volumetric clouds, realistic atmospheric fog & sunlight scattering, and dynamic weather systems.
- Split Screen and Split Up: In local splitscreen multiplayer mode, players can now split up to independently explore the islands.
- More Power Means More Players: With increased hardware performance, Xbox One X servers can now host 70 players in a game.
- Get There Faster: Improved loading and streaming times get you where you want to go on the ARK faster than before.
“Ever since the original announcement of the Xbox One X, we’ve been excited to see how far Microsoft would push the hardware specs, and how far that would let us push ARK,” said Jeremy Stieglitz, Lead Designer, Lead Programmer, Development Director, Co-Creative Director, Co-Founder of Studio Wildcard.
“When gamers get their hands on this powerful new console, and of course, on the new build of ARK, we expect they’ll be just as impressed as we are with how much more visually immersive the world of ARK becomes.”
Studio Wildcard released the Microsoft patch today, following a long period in certification.
Unlike other major ARK Survival updates, today’s has a few that will likely remain exclusive to the Xbox One X.
Wildcard confirmed they would be launching a new enhanced version for the upgraded console, albeit, aiming mostly for better specs rather than graphics.
The current ARK Xbox One X enhancements are as follows:
- HDR and two graphics modes:
- Detailed Graphics version with 1440p resolution and Truesky (which is the equivalent to High quality on the PC) at 30fps
- 1080p mode which equates to the current Xbox One graphics, with improved 60fps.
- Increased RAM, 60-70% more RAM compared to the Xbox One, which will help to eliminate out of memory issues.
- Faster loading times & better streaming
- No host tether in local splitscreen mode & increased tether range in non-dedicated mode.
More background information on the Xbox One X enhancements, from Studio Wildcard: “ARK on the Xbox One X will feature HDR and two graphics modes.
The new ARK Survival Evolved update is out now on Xbox One
“The Xbox One X has increased RAM, 60-70% more RAM compared to the Xbox One, which will help to eliminate out of memory issues. It also means faster loading times and better streaming due to a faster hard-drive and the ability to cache data into RAM that will allow faster and better access to repeat files.
“The Xbox One X will eliminate the host tether in local splitscreen mode and will increase the tether range in non-dedicated mode.
“Unfortunately we were unable to remove the tether completely due to CPU limitations, but we hope that players will benefit from the increased range.
“As mentioned in our past Crunch, Xbox Play Anywhere and CrossPlay are still currently delayed.
“The reason behind this is because we believe it is critical to get BattlEye functioning on Microsoft’s platform.
“We’re very interested in the effects of CrossPlay, but we’re cautious of enabling PC and Xbox Players to game together without having our anti-cheat ready, so it’s going to take a little longer to get that sorted, but it will ensure a much better experience overall.”
One of the standout features is the new rentable servers, which have been available on the PS4 and PC for some time.
Another standout addition is the launch of the new Aberrant skins to Season Pass owners, including: Aberrant Helm, Sword, Reaper Helmet Skin, and Bulbdog Hat Skin.
The full ARK Survival Evolved Xbox One patch notes can be found below:
- Fixed an issue where fertilizer would occasionally restore its lifespan
- Fixed an exploit which would allow players to get under the map
- Fixed a bug where remote keypads sometimes wouldn’t work
- Fixed an issue where Plant Turret X would sometimes miss its target
- Adjusted the Doed Level up animation so it no longer pauses
- Resolved an unintended flight mechanic for the Griffin which would previously allow it to ascend rapidly
- Rentable Xbox servers (through Nitrado)